“[F]or just one second, look at your life and see how perfect it is. Stop looking for the next secret door that is going to lead you to your real life. Stop waiting. This is it: there’s nothing else. It’s here, and you’d better decide to enjoy it or you’re going to be miserable wherever you go, for the rest of your life, forever.”
― Lev Grossman,
It is President’s Day today and many of us have the day off from work in the USA. I am probably going to spend most of the day watching the Olympics, but I noticed something recently that I thought I should address. As I was scrolling through Instagram, I was awestruck how many people I follow travel the world for work or that is their work. Yes, they get paid to travel and I get to see their splashy pictures on IG. Seems pretty cool compared to really working…right?
One thing I am trying to do this Lent is to focus on all of the blessings I have in my life and not compare this to the others I see. This is actually a really important spiritual practice.
- What are my question marks?
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- When you catch yourself doing it, refocus your mind to the blessings you have.
- And then I try to write down this list of blessings.
- Unfollow the people that do not seem to be for real. Removing them from your feed is liberating.
- Pray and be grateful for this is a good season to remember.